The Bible from St. James on Red Hill after the fire Lake City, SC 1930's ariel view Historical Marker Pews from the original St. James on Red Hill St. James on Red Hill October 10, 1955 St. James on Red Hill October 10, 1955


Affirmation of Faith

Origin of the AME Church


History of Greater St. James

Greater St. James African Methodist Episopal Church was founded  in 1883 by Rev. Hill and twenty-five charter members. Early services were held in a member's house on E. Main Street. The congregation purchased a lot at the corner of  Lake and N. Church Streets in 1885 and built its  first sanctuary, a frame building, that year. That church was renovated and enlarged in 1917. It was further renovated, adding a steeple, between 1948-50.    

In 1950 Rev. J.A. DeLaine (1898-1974) was transferred to Saint James
from Pine Grove A.M.E Church in Summerton, South Carolina after  playing a leading role in Briggs v. Elliott, the   Clarendon County school desegregation case that led to Brown vs. Board of  Education (1954). Unknown   persons burned the church in October 1955. The congregation built a new sanctuary here, called Greater St. James A.M.E. Church, dedicated in 1957.

History of Greater St. James (Flash Movie - 7 minutes - may load slow)

Our Visionary Pastors (Flash Movie - 5 minutes - may load slow)